Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blog #6

After hearing the news that the Supreme Court took a  HUGE step today by ruling DOMA as unconstitutional AND the ridiculous Texan bill on abortion did not pass, I have to admit, I want to be out celebrating that our country has made such progress in the equality for all people, not reading Stayer or going to class. However, I was so happy to find Ch 17 was about the Atlantic Revolutions. The two sections that stood out for me personally were the abolition of slavery and the beginnings of the feminist movement.

These two historic events allowed me to celebrate what an incredible day today is in our history. This day will be written about in history books. Finally! I'm not writing about how depressing the greed of humankind (interesting word "kind") can be. Instead, I'm trilled that as humans, we are making a turn in our ignorant and prejudice beliefs.

Not long ago, the marriage of my parents would have been illegal. They were an interracial couple and produced a biracial child. As a child, there were not many biracial children but I'm proud to say I have been a radical trail blazer for the next generation of biracial people. Ok, maybe a radical trail blazer is a bit of an exaggeration, but I did and will continue to fight against the "check only one" section of a form when it asks about race. I will continue to fight for love, regardless of the race of the couple, the genders of the couple or any other "abnormality" that our ass-backwards country has a deemed wrong or sinful.

I am not ignorant to the fact that although the abolition of slavery happened and the feminist movement began and is in full force, there is still prejudice against African-Americans (terrible name - I prefer to say black)  and women. There are still hate crimes. But changes in the law, over time - sometimes a loooong time, do change the beliefs and behavior of humans.

Today, I am proud. Today, I am hopeful. Viva la Revolucion!

Lastly, I want to add that my birthday is June 19th (yes, I spent it last week in class), the African-American holiday known as Juneteenth - the day abolition was announced. I am honored that my birthday falls on this day and think it is my fate to stand behind "liberty and justice for all." Ok, I'm done ranting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment